Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Our Birth Plan...

Well, with so many people I know trying to or becoming pregnant, I thought I would post the Birth Plan from Leilani's arrival. This was an integral part of having everything happen the way we wanted. Please feel free to use it, use part of it or use nothing of it:


Birth Plan for Alana and Chris Powers
To my Health Care Providers: Thank you for taking the time to work with us and our birth plan. We are planning a natural unmedicated water birth. These are our preferences; however we are open and flexible to any medical intervention that may become necessary in the case of a medical emergency.
Environment: I would like for people entering the room to speak softly and close the door behind them. I would like for people entering the room to quietly announce who they are so that I am aware of who is in the room. Please let me know before you touch me or start any procedure. Please make sure to approach me from the front only and not from behind. I may get startled if I can not see someone before they touch me. I would also like the light dimmed.
IV & Nutrition: I prefer to have no IV or heparin lock.
Induction: Natural methods first (nipple stimulation, walking, etc.) to try and avoid Pitocin and amniotomy.
Pain Relief: I am aware of my pain control options; please don't mention them to me.
Please do not ask me to rate my pain for you.
Monitoring: I prefer the baby to be monitored intermittently with the portable EFM.
Second Stage Labor: As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to have no time limits on pushing. I would like to push in whatever position feels right, and prefer to push spontaneously, not directed. Please no counting while pushing I prefer to have the lights dimmed for delivery or, if it is daylight, to access only natural light. No episiotomy unless the baby is in distress and needs to be born quickly.
After The Baby Is Born: I would like my baby placed immediately on my abdomen following the birth, skin to skin with a warm blanket over it. Please do not separate me and my baby for routine procedures (weighing, measuring, newborn exam and bath) until after my baby has successfully breastfed on both breasts. Please do these procedures with me as much as possible. I would like my husband to give our baby her first bath in the nursery with me present.
Third Stage Labor: Please wait for the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped. Please allow my husband to cut the umbilical cord. Natural delivery of the placenta with me pushing. I would like to delay routine Pitocin after the placenta.
Newborn Procedures: If the baby has any problems, I would like my husband to be present with the baby at all times, if possible. I would like to have routine newborn procedures delayed until bonding and breastfeeding have occurred. I would like all newborn routine procedures to be performed in my presence. I would like eye ointment, Vitamin K shot, PKU/Newborn Screening testing or immunizations delayed as long as possible for bonding. We would like to give our baby its first bath in the nursery. My baby is to be exclusively breastfed on demand, do not offer my baby formula, pacifier, and artificial nipple or sugar water without my consent. If my baby's health is in jeopardy, I would like: To be transported with my baby if possible. My husband to go with the baby. To breastfeed or express my milk for my baby.
My Hospital Stay: I prefer to have my husband stay with me.
Cesarean Delivery: If a C-Section is not an emergency, please give us time alone to think about it before asking for our written consent. My husband is to be present at all times during the c-section. Ideally, I would like to remain conscious during the procedure. I would like to have contact with the baby as soon as it is possible in the delivery room. I prefer to have a hand free to touch the baby. If possible, please discuss anesthesia options with me. I prefer a low transverse incision on my abdomen and uterus. Double layer sutures on the uterus.

No comments: