Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What a Difference a Year Makes...

So at this exact time last year I was at our Reproductive Endocrinologist's office getting blood work done to see if I was pregnant. At 12:15pm that afternoon a year ago I got the call that STILL brings tears to my eyes:
Phone: Ring
Me: Hello
Nurse: Hi Alana, I am calling from Dr. Toledo's office
Me: okay
Nurse: Well...YOU'RE PREGNANT!
Me: Are you kidding?
Nurse: No, I dont joke about things like this.
Me: Are you serious?
Nurse: Yes (laughing)
Me: OH MY GOD! So I am, what 4 weeks along
Nurse: Yes, 4 weeks and we'll have you come in every other day for more bloodwork and we have scheduled your first ultrasound for January due to holidays.
Me: Wow...okay. Thank you!
Nurse: have a good day. Good bye.
Me: Bye

I sat on the floor of my office, shocked, for a good 10 minutes before I could grasp what was actually happening. Then I had to think about how I was going to tell Chirs. I was going to make him a dinner full of baby veggies and the like or put a bun in the oven, or all kinds of things. So all I had to do was run out to the grocery store and target and get everything done, but I had a 2pm conference call with my boss. No worries, I would still have time. Wouldnt you know it, Chris came home early that day, so I had NO time to plan ANYTHING! Instead I ended up giving him a Penn State Onesie that said "Powers" on the back (which he thought meant we were only having 1 baby and it was a boy)...hahahaha I have it on video and it something I will cherish forever, even though he cursed ALOT!

The greatest part was this was the day after Chris' 28th birthday. I really wanted to take a pregnancy test on his birthday, because that would have been an awesome gift, but I also didnt want to ruin his day with a negative pregnancy test. In the end, I am happy I waited for the actual blood test so I wouldnt be 2nd guessing myself or the test. Now exactly a year later, we have our amazing little girl who will be 4 months old on the 16th of this month (wow 6 days from now)! She is truly our little miracle and our reason, our purpose for everything. We are truly blessed. What a difference a year makes!!

1 comment:

Heather & Josh Tryon said...

That is so cute! I bet you were so glad to see your baby last night! It was fun seeing you again - even if we did have to freeze our butts off!!!